If you are asking yourself “how do I get a car warranty for my car” the solution is pretty straightforward. Many car warranty companies can be accessed online and you can compare offerings and rates. This gives you a great opportunity to shop for car warranties without even having to leave your house.
The best first step is to pull up all of the reputable companies and then compare their features side by side. Some of the best car warranty providers include the following:
- Carchex: Offers a wide variety of options for a wide variety of budgets.
- Endurance: Best if you travel or drive a lot of miles.
- Infinite Auto Protection: This is good if you need just a basic coverage.
- Concord: Has the best customer service compared to them all.
- Liberty Bell: Accepts more makes/models of cars under their plans compared to the others.
As a general rule you do not get to choose which car warranty you prefer when you purchase the car.
However, you can purchase additional protection after you leave the car lot. This is called aftermarket protection.
Keep in mind that additional warranty coverage does not cover already existing issues your car may have. New policies can take up to 30 days to take effect as well, and if you have something go wrong within that window of time you may have to pay the cost.
As a general rule getting an extended warranty on a used vehicle may not be to your best advantage. This is because over a period of time you will likely spend more on the policy than you would have to repair something.
The numbers do not support it. If you purchased a used car and a warranty came with it, most likely it is a limited warranty that covers anywhere between three to six months.
Often you purchase the vehicle in “as is” condition.